Object of activity and functions of NSRA
Federal state Institution “The Northern Sea Route Administration” was established according to the Order of the Government of Russian Federation № 358-p (March,15,2013), Federal law act № 81 (April,30,1999) p.3 art. 5.1 “The merchant shipping code of Russian Federation ”, to organize navigation in the water area of the Northern sea route.
The main targets of the Institution are ensuring safe navigation and protection of marine environment from the pollution in the water area of the Northern sea route.
The main functions are the following:
- Obtaining and considering the submitted applications and issuing the permissions for navigation through the Northern sea route;
- Issuing the certificates of the ice conventional pilotage on the Northern sea route;
- Researching weather, ice, navigational and other conditions on the Northern sea route;
- Coordination of installation of navigational aids and harmonization of regions to carry out hydrographic surveys operations on the Northern sea route;
- Assistance in the organization of search and rescue operations in the water area of the Northern sea route;
- Assistance in eliminating the consequences of pollution from vessels ofharmful substances, sewage or garbage;
- Rendering the information services in relation to the water area of the Northern sea route, for example, about the organization of navigation, requirements of safe navigation and others;
- Making recommendations about development of routes of navigation and using icebreaking fleet in the water area of the Northern sea route, ice and navigational conditions there;
- Timely data retrieval from Russian hydrometeorological service abouthydrometeorological forecast and ice analysis.
Last modified: 2020-03-02